Depp’s portrayal of King Louis XV marks his first role since legal victory and receives a standing ovation.
Johnny Depp, the acclaimed actor known for his diverse and memorable roles, made a grand comeback at the 2023 Cannes Film Festival with his latest film, “Jeanne du Barry.” The audience at Cannes welcomed the film with open arms, giving it a standing ovation that lasted for seven minutes.
- New Film Makes Waves: Johnny Depp’s latest film, “Jeanne du Barry,” premiered at the Cannes Film Festival and was met with an overwhelmingly positive reaction from the audience.
- A Moving Performance: In “Jeanne du Barry,” Depp portrays France’s King Louis XV, who falls in love with a working-class woman, Jeanne du Barry, played by Maïwenn. His performance was particularly moving and was appreciated by the audience.
- Emotional Response: A visibly emotional Depp was brought to tears by the audience’s applause and was seen hugging actor and director Maïwenn, who stood next to him.
- First Role Post-Legal Victory: This film is Depp’s first major role since his legal victory in a defamation trial against his ex-wife, Amber Heard. His last film before this was “Minamata,” released in 2020.
- Controversy and Criticism: Despite the warm reception at Cannes, criticism has been online regarding Depp’s return to the spotlight after the controversial trial. Cannes chief Thierry Fremaux addressed this by emphasizing the importance of freedom of thought, speech, and action within a legal framework.
“Jeanne du Barry” is a French-language film that delves into the historical romance between King Louis XV and Jeanne du Barry. Depp’s portrayal of the King has been lauded, and the film has sparked interest and excitement among cinema enthusiasts.
However, not all reactions have been positive. Depp’s return to the big screen has been met with mixed reactions, particularly due to the controversy surrounding his legal battles.
Cannes chief Thierry Fremaux defended the decision to include Depp and his film in the festival, stating that the freedom of thought, speech, and action within a legal framework is paramount.
As Johnny Depp returns to cinema, it remains to be seen how his career will unfold in the wake of the challenges he has faced.
With a performance that captured the audience’s hearts at Cannes, Johnny Depp’s “Jeanne du Barry” signals a triumphant return for the actor. As the film rounds in cinemas worldwide, audiences will have the opportunity to witness Depp in a role that has already garnered critical acclaim.